Very Berry Blueberry Pie
This traditional summer dessert features blueberries, which are high in phytonutrients and antioxidants. Fiber-rich dates are puréed to sweeten this treat. For an even sweeter taste, add more fruit purée to the filling. Enjoy this pie any time of year by swapping in seasonal fruit in place of blueberries.
Makes 8 servings. Total preparation time: 1 hour and 10 minutes.
6 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup tapioca pearls (found in baking aisle)1 apple, peeled and grated1 cup pitted dates3/4 cup water2 tablespoons Grass Fed Butter or Coconut Oil1 lemon, juiced and zested1 teaspoon ground cinnamon1 teaspoon cane sugar2 frozen wheat or gluten free pie crusts, such as Wholly Wholesome Frozen Pie Shells
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, combine blueberries and grated apples.
- In a blender, add pitted dates, water, butter substitute, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon, and sugar, and purée until smooth. Pour date mixture over blueberries and apples and fold in tapioca pearls.
- Pour filling into one frozen pie shell. Take other pie shell and invert on top of pie with filling. Gently peel away crust from the pan and pinch edges to join crusts. Cut two vent holes on top of pie. Sprinkle with additional sugar and cinnamon.
- Place pie on foil-lined baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 325 degrees and bake in oven for additional 40 minutes. Watch pie after 20 minutes to make sure crust is not over-browning. Cover edges with foil if it is browning prematurely.
- Take out and cool for 15 to 30 minutes before serving. Serve à la mode topped with vanilla soy ice cream.
Per Serving: 205 calories, 3g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 26mg sodium, 94mg potassium, 47g total carbohydrate, 4g dietary fiber, 2g protein